Thursday, January 19, 2012

How I Control My Sweet Tooth

Anyone who knows me well knows I LOVE sweets. Specifically chocolate and ice cream. I've been known to eat so many sweets that I feel sick to my stomach. Luckily this doesn't happen very often, and I'll tell you why. Here are a few tips to keep your sweet tooth under control:

(1) Don't deny yourself sweets, or foods you really love. I have tried just not eating sweets at all, but it always ended with a trip to an ice cream shop and a lot of regrets. Eating a miniature sized piece of Dove chocolate, or a 100 cal fudge bar every day keeps my cravings at ease. 

(2) Only eat the sweets you truly enjoy. Otherwise, you'll find yourself wanting more since you won't feel satisfied. Plus, why waste calories on foods you don't really like?

(3) Out of sight, out of mind. Place your sweets in a cabinet or somewhere you don't look very often. NOT in a desk drawer or on the kitchen counter.

(4) Eat regularly. Eat at least every 3-4 hours to keep your blood sugars stable. If you're extremely hungry, you're more likely to binge on sweets or junk food instead of taking time to make a healthy meal.

(5) Think small. When buying dessert at a restaurant, ask for the kids size, mini size, or share with a friend. The new Dairy Queen mini-size Blizzard is perfect! If they don't have a miniature size, bring half of it home to save for later.

(6) Savor the flavor. Don't eat your dessert in a rush. Take time to think about what you're eating and how much you appreciate the taste.

(7) Go natural. Fruits are a great low cal way to satisfy your cravings. And they're packed with antioxidants!  Fruit flavored herbal teas also do the trick. The teas are so naturally sweet you don't even need to add sugar!

And last..
(8) Don't beat yourself up if you end up eating more than you meant to. You can run an extra mile, or eat less tomorrow!

This was me a few years back blowing out my candles to my ice cream birthday cake. You better believe I enjoyed it :)

2 comments:

  1. I have a sweet tooth also...I drink ice tea with sweet n low. in my oatmeal I have sweet n low. Does Sweet n low have any adverse reactions with my cravings? Health?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The studies differ. Some show that artificial sweeteners cause you to want more sweets, some show otherwise. Some small studies link it to cancer. None of the studies have been conclusive or strong enough to make any regulations. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the American Diabetes Association both say they are safe to consume in moderation. I like Truvia myself!

    ReplyDelete